[Mobilepartners] NYTimes.com: Guidelines for Using a CellphoneAbroad

Joan Cyr jcyr at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 19 11:27:07 EDT 2007

Hi everyone....here's a short list start of alternatives:

We have a stock answer off our Cell phone home page
(http://web.mit.edu/ist/services/telecommunications/cellphones.html) that
addresses int'l cell phone use... it's
http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=6928

Also... MIT IS&T Telephone Services has negotiated significantly reduced
rates on MobileSphere calling cards. MobileSphere provides domestic and
international coverage in 92 countries. The service can be accessed directly
from a registered cell or home phone, or from hotel and pay phones using the
MobileSphere calling-card feature.

See https://web.mit.edu/ist/tel/mitonly/mobilesphere.html  (certificates
required).

For Verizon Wireless, they have linked/extended their CDMA network into the
Americas, so you can use your Verizon Wireless CDMA phone for your calling
plans cell minutes + $.69/minute.  See the link below to find out which
countries are included:
http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/global/region/americas.html

Bon Voyage,

Joni