[Mobilepartners] Any news on the Palm DST updater/SyncML?

Andrew J Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 27 16:23:57 EST 2007

Hi Joni,

The problem with SyncML is not related to the DST patch. I tested SyncML with
brand new devices (without patch) and old devices (with hard reset) with the
same results. I emailed the network group (Theresa acknowledged this
issue with
an email) and am told that it has to do with the DST patch that was applied to
Oracle Calendar Server last week.

Until a fix is available from Oracle, unfortunately, a Palm OS device
user with
SyncML will not be able to synchronize any calendar entries created from the
device to the server.

As for the related question on whether DST patch should be applied to mobile
devices (even with Network Time option), I believe it is an effort by mobile
operating system companies to "make sure" that DST changes are applied.
Besides
Palm, Microsoft, Symbian, and Research In Motion have all released DST
patches,
where most of these devices have the option to obtain Network Time from
carriers. I do not think applying the patch will result in a negative
consequence (except for the Microsoft Windows Mobile DST patch -- apparently
there was a glitch in how Microsoft wrote the patch that results in meeting
times getting shifted. this is topic for another email...).

I will keep you all posted on the progress as soon as I get more update
from the
network group. Until then, I would suggest using either using your computer or
the mobile web browser on Palm OS devices (http://calendar.mit.edu) to create
an event and subsequently do an "update device" using SyncML.

Andrew

--
Andrew Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator