[Mobilepartners] IS&T Software Update for September 2006

Deb Bowser bowser at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 3 07:35:33 EDT 2006

Date:  Tuesday, October 3, 2006
To:  Members of the MIT Community: itpartners at mit.edu, macpartners at mit.edu,
winpartners at mit.edu, mobilepartners at mit.edu, sw-release-announce at mit.edu,
ed-tech at mit.edu, linux-help at mit.edu
From: Software Release Team <swrt at mit.edu>
Subj: IS&T Software Update for September 2006
Cc:  is&t at mit.edu, itag at mit.edu, it-lead at mit.edu

This monthly communication is intended for Faculty, Staff and Students
within the MIT Community, to provide updated information regarding new and
upcoming software products and services.

Topics of the month:
1. Recently released software
2. Software release efforts underway
3. What's new?
4. Volume & site license software update
5. Windows automatic update service (WAUS)
6. How are we doing?

1. Recent Releases
Linux
-----------
LPRng 3.8.28 - September 13, 2006
Pine 4.62L - September 13, 2006
Techtime 9.0.4 - September 13, 2006
VirusScan 4.40 - September 13, 2006
Xwrits 2.22 - September 13, 2006
Zephyr 2.1 - September 13, 2006

Macintosh
-----------
SAPgui 6.40r6 - September 12, 2006

Windows
-----------
SAPgui 6.40 - September 12, 2006

2. Software Release Efforts Underway
Linux
----------------
Linux Utility CD - Release effort underway - TBD

Macintosh
----------------
FileMaker Pro 8.5 - Release effort underway - Dec 2006
TSM 5.2.5 - Creating scheduled backup solution (Intel Mac) - October 2006
VirusScan 8.5 RC (formerly Virex) - Release effort underway - Fall 2006

Windows
-----------------
FileMaker Pro 8.5 - Release effort underway - Dec 2006
Internet Explorer 7 RC1 - Release effort underway - Fall 2006
iPassConnect 3.41 - Release effort underway - October 2006
Windows Vista RC1 - Release effort underway - TBD
VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i b3 refresh - Release effort underway - Fall 2006
Windows Defender beta 2 - Evaluation underway - TBD

To learn more about current work underway, please visit our page:

           <http://web.mit.edu/swrt/>

3. What's New:
---------------------------
Please join me in welcoming Andrew Yu as the Mobile Devices Platform
Coordinator for the Software Release Team (SWRT).  Andrew is initiating an
effort to support mobile devices and will work with community members to
evaluate various platforms and options.

4. Volume & Site License Software Update
Based on requests from the MIT community, we are adding the Matlab Builder
for Java toolbox to the suite of Matlab toolboxes we offer. In the next week
or two, we will update the order forms with pricing and be able to
distribute licenses. Visit the VSLS site for the latest information at:

	<http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/vsls/>

5.  Windows Automatic Update Service (WAUS)
We recommend users configure their Windows machines to use MIT's Windows
Automatic Update Service (WAUS) for critical patches and service pack
deployment.

WSUS is here.  MIT WAUS deploys updates for Microsoft Office products. Check
the Approved Updates page for details regarding deployed packages. WSUS also
adds support for 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating systems.  For more
information about and instructions on how to configure your machines to use
WAUS, see the WAUS documentation:

       <http://web.mit.edu/ist/topics/windows/updates/>

6 How are we doing? - Let us know
Do you find this communication helpful?  Are there other items of interest
you would like to see included as well?  Please take a moment to let us
know:

       <http://web.mit.edu/swrt/feedback.html>

Send email to <swrt at mit.edu> with any questions and comments you have
pertaining to this communication or other software release matters.

Cheers,

Deb Bowser
Team Leader - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology (IS&T)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Room W92-175
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-253-3879