[Macpartners] network AHT here yesterday, gone today?

Aran M Parillo aran at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 14 16:07:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am working on diagnosing some failures happening on a relatively new iMac that shipped with 10.7 (i.e.: sans dvd).   I was initially able to load up and the apple hardware test over the internet.  Quick & long tests did not indicate any hardware issues, so I proceeded with a reformat & reinstall from the .edu distro of Lion that I had burned to DVD.

During my first attempt to install, it failed before completion, because "An error occurred while installing Mac OS X".

I rebooted the machine to the DVD, reformatted and reinstalled again, this time with success.  I was then able to update the system software and move onto reinstalling applications, during which, it crashed.  I rebooted, typed one key in the password and it locked up again.  So, I'm suspicious that the hardware could be at fault here, and would like to run AHT over the network again…

Alas… I cannot get it to start up to AHT over the network as I once was able to before.  I've tried via wifi & ethernet – both are no go.

Is that because I nuked the disc with the dvd of the MIT distro of 10.7?    If so… Help?

I'd like to run AHT looped over night to see if I can get the hardware to fail, so that when I hand the machine off for repair, I can do so with a good solid recommendation of what I suspect is at fault.

Further – when I go to the genius bar, they have some pretty slick tools for diagnostics and stress testing – I can has?

Thanks,
Aran