[Macpartners] looking to purchase FCP for MIT laptop

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 11 11:57:24 EST 2012

I asked a similar question last August and the consensus at the time was that for single copies you have to buy from the App store using a p-card. Then you have to run the gauntlet outlined somewhere in the fine print on the App store to get your sales tax back. The sales tax will come back as a check made out to you personally. After that, it's very unclear how to put that money back into the account you're ultimately using to pay for the software.

I then asked the local Apple rep, Paul D'Ascoli who came up with another option - purchase a gift card to the App store via purchase order or eCat and use that. I think that's a non-starter because the gift cards are for round numbers and I don't think you can get them via eCat.

Bottom line, this is a huge problem in many respects. Even with the best of intentions, it seems unethical to get a personal refund of tax on something bought with a p-card.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
Director of Technology