[Macpartners] Help Reading Disk

Mark J Pearrow mpearrow at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 14 15:30:53 EDT 2011

If the disk is an older 400 or 800kb disk - also known as a DD type disk - that's going to require you to get you hands on an older mac like an SE, and then getting the files moved off that mac onto something modern might be difficult.

There was a post to the reuse at mit list earlier this week for a giveaway of an SE and an SE/30:

From: Ariel Weinberg <asweinbe at MIT.EDU<mailto:asweinbe at MIT.EDU>>
Date: July 11, 2011 5:46:51 PM EDT
To: "reuse at mit.edu<mailto:reuse at mit.edu>" <reuse at mit.edu<mailto:reuse at mit.edu>>
Subject: [Reuse] Televideo terminal, Mac SE, Mac SE/30

Televideo 950 terminal ( http://vt100.net/manx/details/6,5485 )
Mac SE ( http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-se.html )
Mac SE/30 ( http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-se30.html )

Pickup in Brookline preferred.  Email for further details.

... though I emailed Ariel about the Televideo and didn't get a reply :(

If you had a working SE/30 and access to an older Mac AAUI to ethernet interface, you could pop the disk in, copy the files to the SE/30 hard drive, and then use a file transfer program to upload the files somewhere.

You might even post your question to reuse-ask at mit.edu<mailto:reuse-ask at mit.edu> since many people on that list have older Macs and might be able to help.

mjp