[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 Retirement

Patrick M McNeal mcneal at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 29 15:03:37 EDT 2009

Hello,

Effective Monday, February 1, 2010, Information Services and Technology (IS&T) will no longer provide support for Mac OS X 10.4.

What This Means
----------------------------
IS&T will no longer create custom installers, test supported software and services, write documentation, or provide training or help desk support for Mac OS X 10.4.

Why Support is Being Retired
----------------------------
Now that Mac OS X 10.6 has been released, we expect that Apple will cease updating Mac OS X 10.4, including software and security patches. We expect Apple to continue releasing Mac OS X 10.5 updates for the time being. Also, third-party vendors are dropping support for Mac OS X 10.4, including some IS&T-supported applications.

Recommendation
----------------------------
Users who are running Mac OS X 10.4 are encouraged to upgrade to a more recent version of Mac OS X. Users on PowerPC-based hardware should upgrade to 10.5, as 10.6 requires Intel-based hardware. Faculty and staff should check with their DLC's computer support staff or software liaison to determine the appropriate upgrade path.

Getting Help
----------------------------
If you have questions regarding IS&T's plan to discontinue support for Mac OS X 10.4, please contact the Software Release Team at swrt at mit.edu.

--Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Team Lead - Software Release Team
ISDA, Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
W92-143
Cambridge, MA 02139
+1 617 253-0196