[Macpartners] VMware appliances with MIT software

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 10 14:46:18 EDT 2008

In testing the whole idea further, I installed an MIT Windows XP into
VMware and the first issue that I can see is that of certificates.

In order to download and install more software from IS&T (e.g.
antivirus) directly into the VM, I have to install a server
certificate and a personal certificate. That means that this VM will
now have my identity attached to it. So before I installed the certs,
I made a user account for me that I can install things with, rather
than install my certs into the Admin account.

That (a) reinforces my feeling that it would be good to have a blessed
VM since there's more to it than meets the eye, and (b) validates
Jim's comments that it would be good to get an IS&T reading on this.
I'm happy to noodle along on my own, having now broached the subject,
and hope that eventually there is a customized MIT appliance that
could be used for this kind of thing.

	Allan

On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Allan Doyle wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:07 PM, James Cain wrote:
>
>> Allan,
>>
>> I have several, however there are licensing issues that need to be
>> addressed before such wholesale exchange of VMs occurs.  (Yes I
>> understand that MIT has a site license for XP) Perhaps someone from
>> IS&T can jump into this?
>
> It may help to describe how I would use these... at the Museum, most
> people have Macs, and have an occasional need to run Windows
> software. I'd like to build up a VM that has a rock-solid MIT
> Windows XP setup (with Virus checking, auto update, etc. - whatever
> makes the most sense) and then layer our museum software on top of
> that. Most of the people who would use the VM would not be
> particularly Windows-literate.
>
> Since I'm also not overly into Windows, I'd be happiest to start
> with a VM that's been set up by someone who is.
>
> So, yes, a good word from someone at IS&T would be welcome.
>
> 	Allan
>

>> Best Regards,
>> Jim
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Allan Doyle wrote:
>>
>>> In the spirit of the VMware appliance marketplace at http://www.vmware.com/appliances/
>>>  - are there any pre-built MIT virtual machines to be had?
>>>
>>> In particular, a pre-installed MIT Windows XP would be nice.
>>>
>>> 	Allan
>>> --
>>> Allan Doyle
>>> Director of Technology
>>> MIT Museum
>>> +1.617.452.2111

>> James R Cain											617.253.3909
>>
>> Educational Technology Liaison							http://web.mit.edu/jrcain
>> Office of Educational Innovation and Technology				http://web.mit.edu/due/OEIT.html
>> Office of the Dean for Undergraduate Education
>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>>
>> 77 Massachusetts Avenue
>> Bldg. NE48-308
>> Cambridge, MA 02139