[Macpartners] VMware appliances with MIT software

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 10 14:16:52 EDT 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:07 PM, James Cain wrote:

> Allan,
>
> I have several, however there are licensing issues that need to be
> addressed before such wholesale exchange of VMs occurs.  (Yes I
> understand that MIT has a site license for XP) Perhaps someone from
> IS&T can jump into this?

It may help to describe how I would use these... at the Museum, most
people have Macs, and have an occasional need to run Windows software.
I'd like to build up a VM that has a rock-solid MIT Windows XP setup
(with Virus checking, auto update, etc. - whatever makes the most
sense) and then layer our museum software on top of that. Most of the
people who would use the VM would not be particularly Windows-literate.

Since I'm also not overly into Windows, I'd be happiest to start with
a VM that's been set up by someone who is.

So, yes, a good word from someone at IS&T would be welcome.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
Director of Technology