[Macpartners] Outlook to Apple Mail

Ned Parsons nedp at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 30 16:06:17 EST 2008

Hi,

In bringing a user over from Windows, I ended up with her old mail
from Outlook in .pst format. I loaded this onto a spare machine,
loaded everything into Outlook, then imported into Thunderbird. Moved
a test mailbox onto my Mac, renamed with .mbox suffix and attempted
to import to Mail. The results are confusing:

- in the generated Import folder, it gets the names right, but shows
only the first message.
- raw source shows all messages and attachments embedded as text in
one message
- same for viewing the .emlx files in the Finder
- (that is to say, all messages are living in just the one .emlx file)

Back to the PC and imported Outlook data to Eudora, copied to my test
Mac and imported .mbx files into Mail:

- messages are properly separated, multiple emlx files created
- attachments are embedded as text in separate messages
- message formatting is not interpreted- it shows html and other
gibberish in normal view

I get the sense that there's a step or two that I'm missing (like
converting carriage returns or something- tried, didn't work), but
I'm running out of clever ideas and google is giving all manner of
conflicting information.

Thanks for any assistance,

Ned

Ned Parsons