[Macpartners] Moving e-messages to a new Mac

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 15 22:02:29 EDT 2008

Mail lives in your Library. This message, for example for me, is in

/Users/adoyle/Library/Mail/IMAP-afdoyle at po12.mit.edu/INBOX.imapmbox/
Messages on my mac.

There's a bit of an issue with Spotlight and Mail, I think. You can
force Spotlight to index messages if you do Mailbox->Rebuild but
there's no way to do it en masse for more than one mailbox at a time.

I have no idea what happens if you import Eudora or mbox files locally

I used to have years of email, too. I've found that it's harder to
keep a decent archive when using IMAP vs. POP. On IMAP, I feel like I
need to archive on both my laptop and my work machine and I have not
come up with a decent system for that yet.

I found the move to Leopard to be a bit of a pain, but that had more
to do with all the stuff I use "underneath" like MacPorts.

	Allan