[Macpartners] Major problem: Mac OS X Server won't start up

John Harthorne jharthorne at sloan.mit.edu
Tue Dec 19 10:20:09 EST 2006

Caution: I have never used Mac OS X 10.4 Server (but I have been
using non-server Macs forever).

You can try starting it in firewire mode and can extract data off it
from another mac. I have found this very helpful in similar situations.

During startup, hold down the T key on the keyboard.
The server should start itself up in "target" mode. It won't launch
OS X, but it will render the hard drive accessible via firewire. You
can then connect it via firewire to another mac and it will appear to
be an external hard drive. That way you can at least extract data
from it or back it up before continuing to troubleshoot it.

There are other startup shortcuts that may come in handy too. See:

- John
John Harthorne
MBA Candidate, Class of 2007
MIT Sloan School of Management