[Macpartners] Major problem: Mac OS X Server won't start up

Roger Donaghy rdonaghy at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 19 10:05:13 EST 2006

I am having a problem starting up a machine running Mac OS X 10.4
Server. Here's the sequence of events that led to this problem as I
remember them.

1. I arrived this morning to update software on the machine and
noticed that the display did not respond when I moved the mouse or
typed on the keyboard.
2. Since I could not see anything on the screen, I forced the machine
to shut down by holding down the power button.
3. I connected a new display, and pressed the power button to turn
the machine back on.
4. I heard the startup tone, the display turned on, and the normal
Mac gray screen appeared with the gray apple and gray spinning
progress wheel.
5. After a few seconds, a black rectangle appeared in the middle of
the screen over the gray apple.
6. The screen remained stuck in this state for a few minutes before I
shut down.

Since then, I tried booting the machine from the Mac OS X Server 10.4
Install Disc 1 and got the same result as in steps 4-6 from above.

I also called the help desk and spoke to someone who recommended
turning the machine on and trying to ssh remotely while the server
was stuck in the startup sequence. When I tried that, I received an
"Operation timed out" message.

Does anyone have any other procedures I can follow to get this
machine started up or in a state where I can access its files? At
this point, I am very worried about data extraction because there is
some critical data on the server.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Roger Donaghy
MIT News Office