[Macpartners] Apple Mail and Boot Camp at Mac Partners doubleheader April 21

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 13 15:57:54 EDT 2006

Friday, April 21
N42 Demo Center

12:00-12:45
Part 1: "I'm using Apple Mail--now what?"

A how-to for managing email using Mail, including a demonstration of
features and tips you may not be aware of for making life in the post-
Eudora world a smooth one. Topics to be covered include creating
rules (a.k.a. filters), controlling what stays on the server vs.
what's stored locally, creating smart folders and how attachments
work now. Handout included!

1:00-2:00
Part 2: Running Windows on an (Intel) Mac: Boot Camp and virtualization

Last week, Apple released Boot Camp, beta software that makes it easy
to non-destructively partition a hard drive, install and boot into
Windows XP.

The following day, a beta version of Parallels Workstation was
released; it's the first virtualization software for Intel Macs,
allowing any operating system designed for PC hardware, such as
Windows XP or Red Hat Linux, to run on an Intel Mac without rebooting.

I'll demonstrate both Boot Camp and Parallels Workstation and discuss
the pros and cons of these approaches to running Windows (and other
operating systems) on a Mac.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu