[Macpartners] Hiding Mac OS X volumes selectively...?

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Tue May 31 15:14:48 EDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Kerem B Limon wrote:

> That's nice (and exactly what I'm looking for), but the hint's from
> 2001 and the
> GetFileInfo command doesn't work on folders (and hence volumes) on
> two Macs we
> have here. The GetFileInfo applied to a folder or volume, say,
> produces:
>
> ./GetFileInfo could not be used to display info about folder
>
> and the man page for this seems to indicate it is designed for
> files only.
>
> Good thing is, SetFile seems to nonetheless let you clear the
> visibility bit and
> that works upon launching the Finder. However, there is no way to
> see the
> attributes.
>
> Perhaps, I should file this as a bug report to Apple?
>
> -Kerem

GetFileInfo doesn't work when I'm in the /Developer/Tools directly.
However, I can view attributes by creating a symbolic link as
described in the hint: sudo ln -s /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo /usr/
bin/getinfo and using getinfo. Go figure.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu