[Macpartners] remote access/control OS X

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 29 19:58:12 EDT 2005

I am assuming your 'office system' is a Mac.

You *can* use Apple Remote Desktop (server piece--though apple calls it
'client'--comes built-in to OS X, admin/remote counterpart costs money) to do
this, but it does it over VNC in its latest incarnation also; it also allows
for other proprietary management interfaces.

OSXvnc is the server to use on the Mac side, and that may be what you tried.
Chicken of the VNC is virtually the only viable client on the Mac side. Both
OSXvnc and ARD's VNC counterpart are on the same codebase, as I understand it,
and performance on Mac OS X *sucks* bigtime. Compare this to the RDP protocol
on Windows, or even various VNC servers and compression schemes on a Windows
VNC server, and there is no competition.

If your apps are X11 apps, you can, of course, use X to remote your display and
do this, but I doubt that is the case.

Sorry,
-Kerem