[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Update

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 23 16:50:17 EDT 2005

Alex,

You have solved all my Tiger Mail.app problems! Many, many thanks!

I am able to send file attachments. I'm able to send large emails and
I'm able to send Rick Text mail! I'll let the guy at Cornell know
there is a workaround!

Thank you.

Carolyn

On Jun 23, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Albert Willis wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Carolyn Fuller wrote:
>>

>>> Alexandra,
>>>
>>> I have SSL checked but Al suggested a few weeks ago that I switch
>>> to Kerberos Version 4.
>>>

>> Yes, I suggested using Kerberos for authentication in the context
>> of using Mail on Mac OS X 10.3.9, since using SSL with Mail on
>> 10.3.9 is broken and Kerberos authentication works.
>>

> The SSL performance problems in 10.3.9 are with incoming mail
> (IMAP) configurations, right?  As far as I know, MIT's production
> IMAP servers don't support Kerberos 5 (GSSAPI) -- although the test
> server PO15 does.  What I'm referring to are the "Outgoing Mail
> Server" preferences (SMTP).  Outgoing.mit.edu (MIT's SMTP server)
> does support Kerberos 5 authentication on port 587.
>
> In my experience, in the Tiger Mail.app "Outgoing Mail Server"
> preferences if you have "Authentication" set to "Kerberos 5
> (GSSAPI)" and "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)" *unchecked*, then
> random memory will be appended to outgoing mail messages longer
> than 8192 bytes.  Checking the SSL checkbox changes what type of
> encryption is used (SSL instead of GSSAPI) and causes the bug to
> stop happening.
>

> --lxs
>
> Alexandra Ellwood <lxs at mit.edu>
> MIT Kerberos Development Team