[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Update

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 23 13:22:21 EDT 2005

Al,

>> There is the issue that MIT and Apple are working on right now
>> that involves Rich Text Formatted Mail.app email and Kerberos.
>> This is a pretty serious bug that causes incoming email and
>> gibberish to be appended onto outgoing email. Setting your
>> "Composing: Message Format: Plain Text" does not mean you will
>> avoid this bug. If you copy and paste Rich Text, it will stay Rich
>> Text unless you remember to manually convert to plain text before
>> you hit "Send".
>
> Carolyn, I'm not aware of this bug. Could you provide the steps and
> configuration required to duplicate the problem?

Here is what the email Apple said:
"It is a combination of Kerberos Authentication and rich text emails."
and
"I think our engineers have identified the appended garbage as Mail.app
resident memory space."

I have my preferences set up to compose email in Plain Text. I
encountered the problem because I copied Rich Text email sent to me
and pasted it into new mail I was sending out. I didn't even know
that the email I had copied was Rich Text and I thought all my email
was converted to Plain Text. So I did not manually convert the Rich
Text to Plain Text. At any rate, the email I sent out sat in my
outbox for a very long time and finally failed. What I didn't realize
at the time is that it sent the user the email even though it seemed
to have failed. It sent out email with a ton of my incoming email
appended to it. Not only that, but it bombarded the recipient with
hundreds of copies of this email every hour until she had email from
me blocked!

---
Carolyn Fuller
Massachusetts Institute of Technology