[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Update

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 23 13:32:24 EDT 2005

Alexandra,

I have SSL checked but Al suggested a few weeks ago that I switch to
Kerberos Version 4.

As long term fixes are being developed, it would be great if we could
figure out what some of the short term workarounds are. I would love
to be able to send file attachments again. I would love for my
Mail.app under 10.3.9 to work again.

Carolyn

On Jun 23, 2005, at 11:57 AM, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Albert Willis wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Carolyn Fuller wrote:
>>

>>> Helen,

>>> This is not true. There is the issue that MIT and Apple are
>>> working on right now that involves Rich Text Formatted Mail.app
>>> email and Kerberos. This is a pretty serious bug that causes
>>> incoming email and gibberish to be appended onto outgoing email.
>>> Setting your "Composing: Message Format: Plain Text" does not
>>> mean you will avoid this bug. If you copy and paste Rich Text, it
>>> will stay Rich Text unless you remember to manually convert to
>>> plain text before you hit "Send".
>>>

>> Carolyn, I'm not aware of this bug. Could you provide the steps
>> and configuration required to duplicate the problem?
>>

> I am also confused here.
>
> I recently filed a bug report with Apple about an issue when
> Mail.app is configured to use "Kerberos Version 5 (GSSAPI)" but
> *not* SSL for outgoing mail.  When I try to send a message longer
> than 8192 bytes, then random memory from Mail.app is appended to
> the end of the message.  This random memory often includes other
> messages I have viewed before and could include key data.
>
> Whether or not rich text is turned on has nothing to do with
> whether or not the bug happens for me.  However, rich text format
> messages are longer than plain text ones, so the bug would be more
> likely to occur when using rich text.
>
> Checking the SSL checkbox in the outgoing mail server settings
> resolves the problem for me.  You should try that and see if it
> resolves the problem for you as well.
>

> I have been working with Apple on this issue since it involves code
> in Mail.app that calls Kerberos APIs.
>

> --lxs
>
> Alexandra Ellwood <lxs at mit.edu>
> MIT Kerberos Development Team