[Macpartners] Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Update

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 23 09:35:28 EDT 2005

Helen,

> Kerberos is completely usable. The only known Kerberos issue is if
> you have implemented Kerberos tickets on login, which involves
> making modifications to the /etc/authorization file. If you have
> never edited this file, you (and your users) are not affected.

This is not true. There is the issue that MIT and Apple are working
on right now that involves Rich Text Formatted Mail.app email and
Kerberos. This is a pretty serious bug that causes incoming email and
gibberish to be appended onto outgoing email. Setting your
"Composing: Message Format: Plain Text" does not mean you will avoid
this bug. If you copy and paste Rich Text, it will stay Rich Text
unless you remember to manually convert to plain text before you hit
"Send".

I think there are other bugs with Mail.app 2.0.1 (730) and Kerberos.
For instance, even after removing config & mail files from my home
directory Library, I still cannot send file attachments via Mail.app.
I hope that MIT and Apple are working on this bug as well.

And the Tiger Java problem that is causing the incompatibility with
SAPGui is very serious for me. I can not upgrade my 10.3.9 desktop
until this is resolved because I spend too much of my day in SAPGui
for Citrix to be the solution for me. It crashes a fair amount if you
are in it for too long. Maybe it is timing out? And as long as my
desktop is on 10.3.9 I'm really frustrated with Mail.app. It is
impossible under 10.3.9. And I can't revert to using Eudora because
Eudora does not find a lot of my IMAP mailboxes! So I end up using my
laptop for Mail.app email without file attachments and my desktop for
Eudora email with file attachments. It is UGLY!

Argh! I wish there was greater support here or from Apple for these
problems. Apple was VERY responsive when the problem was incoming
email being attached to outgoing email. But I feel like the day to
day frustrations with file attachments are being ignored by both
Apple and MIT and it is frustrating!

---
Carolyn Fuller
Massachusetts Institute of Technology