[Macpartners] Installing Panther on a brand-new powerbook (1.5GHz)

mark pearrow mpearrow at csail.mit.edu
Mon Jun 13 09:10:34 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate one of my users from his current 12" powerbook,
which is last year's model (1.3 GHz I believe) to a new one, which is a
1.5GHz model.

Normally, this VIP user clones his main working machine to a spare, and
uses the same technique to move to a new main machine. Problem is, we
can't clone his existing laptop to this new one because evidently it
won't run Panther. It came pre-installed with Tiger; and this user has
no intention of using Tiger just yet.

I've attempted to install Panther on this new laptop from several types
of Panther media (shrinkwrapped Panther media, System Restore CDs from
older powerbooks, etc), but have failed. Can anyone confirm that it is
impossible to downgrade this laptop model to Panther, or if not, anyone
done this successfully?

Thanks,

mjp