[Macpartners] authentication->loginhook->authorization

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 10 14:37:28 EDT 2005

One more comment re- your comments way below...one problem with your interim
loginhook is potentially a security one. Part of the point of the directory
services lookup is not just to determine user's account metadata (home
directory, UID, etc.), but also act as a means to *authorize* them (or not) to
login to the machine (since Kerberos is doing the *authentication*, and
authorization and directory services are two other separate parts of the login
process).

If you have a mechanism by which you are creating local directory entries on the
fly to anyone (without doing a directory lookup to see if they even exist in
the directory store you wish to reference), you're sort of 'fudging' the
authorization step by accepting the issue of a valid Kerberos ticket as
authorization. I cannot think of a particular exploit right off the top, but it
sounds...wrong.

BTW, Eric--what are our chances of getting Apple to put cross-realm Kerberos
support into the AD plug-in (in this century, that is)?

-Kerem