[Macpartners] Powerbook Display problem

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 24 11:17:26 EDT 2004

It's more likely that the problem is what Jon's describing--I've also seen it on
Aluminum PowerBook models at work and they get really bad if left alone;
however, this is more like very, very light (almost white) "puddles" of pixels
that grow around the center and middle areas of the screen.

On the other hand, a "stuck" or "dead" pixel does not have to be black. Current
LCD technology is built on pixels that consist of three sub-pixels--red, green,
and blue, that are appropriately lit to replicate any color. Sometimes only a
sub-pixel or two fail, causing a "stuck" or "dead" pixel of another color. I've
see my share of red and green stuck pixels.

I don't recall off the top, but Apple, like many vendors these days, has a
craftily hidden dead pixel policy, something to the tune of "we will not
exchange if not more than n dead/stuck pixels in a x in. radius" or something.
Lookup on http://www.apple.com/support/ to verify.

Kerem