[Macpartners] Safari presentation follow-up

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 20 16:10:48 EDT 2004

There were some questions e-mailed to me regarding Safari prior to
today's meeting:

> I won't be able to attend the meeting but I'd like to know how to get
> Safari
> to use the specified XSLT stylesheet when displaying an XML document.

According to Dave Hyatt of Apple's Safari team, there appears to be
some basic XSLT support in Safari with more coming:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_08.html#006219.

> I'd like to find out how to have Safari keep zero days' worth of
> history.
> The only option I've found, thus far, is to select "reset" within
> Safari
> to clear everything.

You can certainly select History > Clear History to clear the history
without resetting Safari. If you don't want any history at all to be
saved, try this hint from Mac OS X Hints:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20030216085845456&query=safari+cache.

The ability to surf the web without caching anything if you wish will
be available in the version of Safari that will ship in Mac OS X 10.4
"Tiger": http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/safari.html.

> My question relates to using Safari to access Russian language pages.
> It seems to lack Netscape/Mozilla and Int. Explorer's ability to
> switch language encodings. I have to do this manually after displaying
> the page in gibberish initially. Is there a way to "teach" it?

So far, I haven't had a problem with Safari displaying Russian web
pages. For example, this page displays the same in Safari and Firefox:
http://www.gazeta.ru/. It could be that Gecko-based browsers are a
little better at figuring out the character encoding of a web page,
even if the page doesn't specify it in a standard way.

I didn't get a chance to mention in today's meeting that Safari can be
scripted via Applescript; see http://www.apple.com/applescript/safari/
for some useful scripts.

   -- Al