[Macpartners] office: mac 2004 - annoying 'feature' help

John C. Welch jwelch at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 19 16:13:59 EDT 2004

On 10/19/04 12:28 PM, "Aran M. Parillo" <aran at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Can anyone offer solutions for either blocking the ports microsoft is
> using to check for installs or kill off the daemon which runs to
> check or whack the original preference which seems to want to cling
> onto the original full install I did?  I can't continue shutting down
> my net access every time I need to run office.

Is there any processes in top that are running that start with Microsoft?
The database Daemon app is in the office application directory, so unless
you moved it, it went away when you deleted the Office 2004 directory.

Did you also delete the Office 2004 directory in ~/Library?

> -amp
>
> ps: I spared you my MS rant about installing daemons onto unwitting
> users machines as well as giving themselves free access to my network
> services.

That's good, because Filemaker and Adobe are doing it too, so that rant just
gets bigger and harder to type every year.

john

--
Cthulu for President!
Why vote for a *lesser* evil?