[Macpartners] office: mac 2004 - annoying 'feature' help

Aran M. Parillo aran at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 19 13:28:20 EDT 2004

Hi,

Some time ago, my bosses office X install was crashy, so I purchased
her a straight 2004 installer (not an upgrade) which she did not get
around to installing right away.

I decided to put it on my own machine and remove it when she was
ready to have it installed on hers.  That day came, and I installed
it onto her machine, removed my install, and bought an 'upgrade' for
myself and upgraded my office X to 2004.

Now regardless of the fact that we are both using licensed versions
of the software, I get a pop up dialog alerting me that office must
close since it's in use on another machine.

I tried to do a complete removal of office items from my machine and
re-installed office x, then upgraded to 2004 and am having the same
problem.

Can anyone offer solutions for either blocking the ports microsoft is
using to check for installs or kill off the daemon which runs to
check or whack the original preference which seems to want to cling
onto the original full install I did?  I can't continue shutting down
my net access every time I need to run office.

-amp

ps: I spared you my MS rant about installing daemons onto unwitting
users machines as well as giving themselves free access to my network
services.