[Macpartners] Re: Apple Software Restore/Carbon Copy Cloner problems on cloning Beige G3s...

Kerem B Limon kerem.limon at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 3 02:30:55 EDT 2004

Eric--

Thank you for your response, but I did resolve the problem some time ago
and haven't had time to respond with my findings--your e-mail reminded me.
Mike (Bombich)'s solutions seem to be the key: Especially regarding Old
World machines. I ended up using a combination of Carbon Copy Cloner and
the Mac OS X-native, command line version of the Apple Software Restore
tool (ASR) that comes with 10.2.2 or after. Here is the working solution
for everyone's benefit.

I can verify that Disk Copy 6.5b13 (latest I have) no longer produces
usable images for OS X machines (this perhaps started with newer versions
of OS X), so you will need to use an OS X environment to do the cloning.
This is generally an annoyance, because it is mighty easy and convenient to
make a bootable OS 9 CD and use that to mount local external or network
volumes; especially in cases where you still have OS-9-bootable machines
and don't have the resources or overhead to set up a NetRestore solution.
As an alternative, I have yet to find the time to try CharlesSoft's BootCD
(http://www.charlessoft.com/) or similar instructions to make a bootable OS
X CD with what I want on it. (To date, I am still awaiting someone to
develop a simple, DriveImage or Ghost like application as on the PC, for
Macs. Both of those run out of DOS, fit on a floppy--or
floppy-on-a-bootable CD--and consistently work without any problems,
whatsoever. Even a linux boot disk with dd accomplishes that task, albeit
rather crudely. It's a pain to have to have an entire huge operating
environment around to do this on a few machines.)

In order to make the process faster, I installed a fresh, lean (no need for
"additonal" apps, localization resources, printer drivers, etc.) copy of X
10.2.8+necessary updates on to a large external SCSI HDD. I used 10.2.x
instead of 10.3 because these are OldWorld machines that won't easily
install/boot 10.3 (Yes, you can work around this using XPostFacto
(http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/), but I was content with
10.2 on these machines, so that was not necessary. I used a SCSI HDD for
the same reason that these machines do not have built-in FireWire or USB
and/or cannot boot from them if there are such add-in cards. I made sure
Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 (latest) was on the system. On newer machines, you
can substitute FireWire (or USB1, though it'll be even slower than SCSI)
external HDDs, of course, or use an IDE drive if you don't mind opening up
the machines.

After setting up my "model" machine, I followed Mike's instructions at
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/asrx-original.html (which describes how to
create what's called a sparse (expandable, that is) disk image and how to
copy/clone your model on to it). Once you create the image, the
copying/cloning part takes a number of long/detailed steps outlined (linked
at) http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html#commands . Since these are
quite involved and Carbon Copy Cloner essentially automates this entire
process, I decided to use that instead. So, here's what I did, step-by-step:

o I booted from my external SCSI HDD with the X 10.2.8+ install and Carbon
Copy Cloner on it.

o Next, I ran Disk Utility to verify the "model" machine's internal HDD and
its permissions and make repairs as necessary.

o After launching Carbon Copy Cloner from my Iexternal HDD, I authenticated
as an owner, selected my model machine's internal HDD as the "source".

o Within Carbon Copy Cloner, I opened the Preferences (use Carbon Copy
Cloner | Preferences or press the [Preferences] button). There, I made
checked "Create a disk image on target" under "Disk image options" and
subsequently checked "Prepare for Apple Software Restore" under "ASR
options". I chose "Read-only compressed" as the format to save some disk
space, but you can also use "Read-only" to make things faster and save some
time. When you make these selections, "Make bootable" should have
automatically been checked under "Disk options", so verify that. One
caveat/bug I ran into was that on some machines, selecting "Create a disk
image on target" did not immediately enable the "ASR options" checkboxes;
however, clicking on them nonetheless made them active and
selectable--could be very confusing to the uninitiated. I then saved my
preferences.

o I hit the [Clone] button to create the image; filled in the necessary
information when prompted what to name it and where to save it, etc. I then
let it do its thing, which naturally takes longer on an OldWorld G3.

o (This step is optional, but I did it for peace of mind, as I don't really
trust X's Disk Utility with the OS 9 drivers and I want to make sure the OS
9 part of the environment I am cloning works fine). I booted one of the
"target" machines with an OS 9.2.2 bootable CD and created a clean new
single partition on the HDD (which installed the OS 9 drivers
automatically). I chose to zero it, though not strictly necessary. The next
step should also theoretically take care of this, and of course, you can
choose to do this from OS X using Disk Utility, remembering to install OS 9
drivers, but your mileage may vary.

o When finished, I shut down the system, took the external HDD and hooked
it up to one of the "target" machines, and again booted from the external
drive.

o I opened up a Terminal session, and used the native command-line ASR tool
to restore the image to the "target" HDD:

sudo asr -source /path-to-the-asr-disk-image-I-created-above.dmg -target
/Volumes/name-of-the-newly-created-partitionordisk-created-above-on-the-target-machine
-erase

(Substitute with the full path to your disk image for /path...-above.dmg
and the full path to the newly partitioned internal "target" disk, usu.
/Volumes/<name of the internal disk as seen on desktop> -- you can also
just drag and drop their icons on the Terminal window when you need to type
them and it'll automatically fill in.)

This started the process, which first verified the ASR image for
consistency and then restored it to the internal "target" drive. There is a
simple progress indicator with percentages and periods showing where you
are in the process. It takes a bit of time, but of course is faster than
creating the image in the first place.

o Finally, I ran Carbon Copy Cloner again. I authenticated again as an
owner and selected the newly cloned internal "target" drive as the target.
Then, I selected "File | Bless OldWorld Target Disk" just to be on the safe
side. This will take a little bit of time on older machines, with the
"File" menu highlighted, as if it's stuck or hung, but rest assured it's
doing its thing, so be patient. This may not be necessary, and if you like
command-line equivalents are detailed in Mike's instructions in the above
pages.

After this, I was able to successfully boot OS 9 & X on the newly cloned
machines. These may only be necessary for OldWorld machines, as Carbon Copy
Cloner "cloning" from a model disk to a new target disk, even in the same
machine did not produce working results for me. I have also not tried using
CCC to restore the ASR image I created (time was of the essence then and I
had to use whatever I knew worked at the time).

Some important caveats:

o On some newly cloned machines, even though you *can* select the OS 9
partition on the newly cloned internal "target" disk to boot when you're
done restoring the ASR image and are still booted from the external SCSI
HDD, this sometimes doesn't work and you're kicked back into OS X on the
external SCSI HDD upon reboot. I found that rebooting to OS X on the
internal HDD and then rebooting to OS 9 on the internal HDD from there
works; or, if you also have a working OS 9 install on the external HDD,
booting to that and then rebooting to the internal OS 9 HDD works. I assume
these are related to issues with older versions of OpenFirmware on these
older machines (the PRAM batteries appear to be in good shape).

o OS X is quite portable across different types of hardware, and if your OS
9 part of your clone image (if you have that, for OS-9-bootable machines)
is a more encompassing install, you can restore to several kinds of
machines. I was able to restore to Blue & White G3s as well using the same
image; one thing to watch out for is that if you set up your model
originally on a machine with built-in Mac OS ROM, like the G3s, you will be
missing the Mac OS ROM file in the System Folder. NewWorld machines won't
boot OS 9 without it, and you'll be stuck at the grey checkerboard screen
with a flashing question mark in front of a *folder*. *None* of Apple's
knowledge base articles will help you, because *none* of them mentions this
possibility. A current copy of the Mac OS ROM can be pulled from a working
9.2.2 install or install disk. Current versions are listed at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24965 -- v8.7 works fine for
machines I have.

Kerem