[Macpartners] Re: Apple Software Restore/Carbon Copy Cloner problems on cloning Beige G3s...

Eric Zelman zelman at apple.com
Wed Jun 2 23:24:56 EDT 2004

Karem-

For a variety of reasons, Disk Copy is antiquated and should not be
used- focus your time on Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore. How is the
drive attached- IDE?

On May 21, 2004, at 10:21 AM, Kerem B Limon wrote:

> I am having a heck of a time (not) getting a model Mac OS 9.2.2/X
> 10.2.8 combination setup cloned across to Power Macintosh G3
> ("Beige"/"Platinum") models.
>
> I have tried (details later) all of Disk Copy 6.5b13 cloning, Apple
> Software Restore 2.2.5, Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3, all to no avail. I can
> either not get the restore/clone from my image to actually take place,
> or when it (allegedly) does, to get the Mac to actually boot past the
> flashing question mark/floppy icon (searching for a bootable device,
> that is). When are we going to get a decent, *fast* cloning solution
> for the Mac, a la DriveImage or Ghost?!
>

> Here are the verbose details:
>
> o All of the hard disk drives concerned are in good shape. I have
> individually verified this by taking them out and installing them in a
> PC, running the manufacturer's diagnostics, even zero-filling them
> (IDE drives; and additionally low-level formatting SCSI drives) and
> re-verifying. The drives are *not* broken, nor do they have bad
> sectors.
>
> o I have set up my model configuration, dual boot Mac OS 9.2.2/X
> 10.2.8 + updates and desired software set up; it works fine, checks
> out in Disk First Aid under 9, X, as well as DiskWarrior and Norton
> (not implemented any Norton fixes, so Norton has looked at but not
> "touched" the drive, and that was after I had already tried cloning
> unsuccessfully several times). It is a single, under-8GB partition,
> Mac OS Extended, on an IDE drive, and boots fine on the Power Mac G3
> it has  been set up to both OSs.
>
> o I have created an image of this using Disk Copy 6.5b13, via "Create
> Image from Device". I have then converted the image to ASR format
> using the "Scan 9+X image for ASR" AppleScript from the Scripts menu.
> This completed successfully, and created a 4 segment (700 MB CD-R
> size) .dmg image, which mounts, checksums, and verifies correctly.
>
> o If I try to use ASR 2.2.5 to restore this image to an IDE disk in
> the system (image stored on and system booted from an external SCSI
> drive), ASR will begin, and then after about a minute, simply state
> "restore has failed". I have tried different target hard disks and
> several times, no go.
>
> o If I mount the model .dmg image, use Disk Copy 6.5b13 and "Clone"
> option from the menus, I am able to clone the image fine. I then have
> to go into Drive Setup and remove a write-protect bit that has been
> set under the Volume Settings for the recently cloned target volume
> (why?). I then try to reboot the system, get stuck at the flashing
> question mark/floppy icon...no go.
>
> o After this failure, the disk can not be initialized again from Drive
> Setup, no matter what I do. Booting to OS X, I can use Disk Utility,
> however, to erase/zero-fill the drive and try again; or remove the
> drive and zero-fill on the PC using the manufacturer's diagnostic
> tools, and try again. Same results follow.

> [...]
Eric Zelman
Systems Engineer
Apple
68 Mt. Hope Ave.
Providence, RI 02906

AppleCare Support
	http://search.apple.com/
Apple Science
	http://www.apple.com/science/
Technical Resources for Integrating Mac OS X
	http://www.apple.com/education/technicalresources/