[Macpartners] repair of broken powerbook hinges

Susan Midlarsky susan at aspiring-arts.com
Tue Jul 27 15:44:31 EDT 2004

>At 15:33 -0400 2004-07-27, Susan Midlarsky wrote:
>>>Unfortunatly, apparently there is some stuff they can't repair on site. I
>>>brought in my G3 iBook -- problem is that when the display is
>>>tipped back more
>>>than about 95 degrees, it goes dark. I checked the serial numbers and my G3
>>>doesn't qualify for the extended warranty offered on faulty G3 displays. PC
>>>Services told me that the manufacturer won't permit them to work on the
>>>displays and it would have to go to Apple. Minimum cost would likely be
>>>something like $400,
>>
>>It's actually cheaper to take something like this to an Apple
>>retail store. You can save about $100.
>
>Apple retail stores aren't bad. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy
>having one in walking distance of campus. But the techs at the
>"genius bar" are often not real geniuses. At least half of the time
>I know more than they do (and end up answering the questions of
>others waiting to talk to somebody). Probably a quarter of the time
>when the tech hears what I do for a living they ask if I'm hiring.

Well yeah, me too. (Hi Helen!) That's not what I was saying. I'm just
saying it's cheaper to send in a Powerbook to be repaired through a
retail store than through PC Service. A PC Service tech himself
confirmed this a couple of years ago.

Susan, who had to have TOO many repairs to her Pismo...
--
Susan Midlarsky, Happy Artist