[Macpartners] repair of broken powerbook hinges

William T.G. Litant wlitant at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 27 11:29:02 EDT 2004

Unfortunatly, apparently there is some stuff they can't repair on site. I
brought in my G3 iBook -- problem is that when the display is tipped back more
than about 95 degrees, it goes dark. I checked the serial numbers and my G3
doesn't qualify for the extended warranty offered on faulty G3 displays. PC
Services told me that the manufacturer won't permit them to work on the
displays and it would have to go to Apple. Minimum cost would likely be
something like $400, and it could be as much as a grand - they couldn't even
estimate until Apple looked at it and responded. Needless to say, it's going to
be more than the computer is worth.

Bill Litant