[Macpartners] Re: G5 Firewire Question

Felix Kreisel fjk at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 8 10:20:42 EDT 2004

>With a G5 and some firewire drives.  As soon as I plug in a miniDV
>camera the system comes to a stand still.  If I unplug the camera,
>it all starts working again properly.   It also works fine if it is
>the only device plugged into a firewire port.  This is a single G5
>processor at 1.8Ghz.  I was wondering if anyone else had any similar
>incidents, or if this sounds like it might be a hardware problem?
>This is running 10.3 with all the updates.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

G4/867 running 10.3 and a Que-120 firewire drive. Connect a miniDV
camera to the drive and as long as the camera is ON, everything
works. However, if you turn the camera OFF the firewire drive seems
to disappear. If I disconnect the camera, the drive is back.

My conclusion: firewire devices need to be turned on.

Felix Kreisel