[Macpartners] Mac OS X Program to connect to an Exchange Serv er

John C. Welch jwelch at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 12 19:15:13 EDT 2004

On 8/12/04 1:50 PM, "Timothy Boyden" <trboyden at PLANT.MIT.EDU> wrote:

> An important criteria here is the version of Exchange running on the server.
> Entourage only works as a full function Exchange client with Exchange 2000 and
> up. Outlook 2001 is the only desktop client that works with the Exchange ver.
> 5 series. Microsoft's roadmap for Exchange clients for platforms other than
> Windows is for those clients to use the Outlook Web Connector which provides
> full access to the Exchange environment. The version of the Web Connector in
> Exchange 2003 is actually really good. For Exchange 2000 and up you can enable
> IMAP access for non-Microsoft clients and access most features of Exchange.

If you have Exchange 2000 and later, go with Entourage.

For E'rage v.X, you have to enable IMAP/SMTP/LDAP/DAV
For E'rage 2004, you have to enable LDAP/DAV

If you have pre-Exchange 2000, then Outlook 2001 is still a good option.
It's a Classic app, but a good one, and the most full-featured Mac client
regardless of OS.

If you give us more information on your server setup, we can help you better

john

--
"With over 50 cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't
likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market for itself."

commentary in Business Week magazine, 1968