[Macpartners] Retrospect for single-user backup

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 5 10:57:15 EDT 2004

I won't be able to pull up URLs right now (you can certainly Google for them),
but seems like you can do this with free software. For alternatives, especially
for the type of incremental 'sync' you want to do, you could look at things
like Psync/PsyncX combined potentially with Carbon Copy Cloner -or- RsyncX
(also GUI); there is also La Cie's Silverkeeper that's not bad, and some people
seem to like Tri-BACKUP Lite. If so inclined, and since the target and
destination are both local devices, you could even use built-in command line
tools.

Retrospect has long been the de facto choice for backup on the Mac side, and
while I've used it extensively, I still don't like some of its features--like
its proprietary catalog structure and finally having been able to deal with
resource forks, etc. on Mac OS X. Besides, I find whatever background scheduler
(I don't know if it uses cron) it configures when installed, makes the system
stutter consistently.

Retrospect can still do this, however. Any locally connected storage device like
a FireWire hard drive, will be considered a 'local' volume to Retrospect, and
so you can back it up.

Kerem