[Macpartners] More on Mac OS X 10.2.8

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 24 00:01:36 EDT 2003

Here's the latest on Mac OS X 10.2.8:

- a small number of users have experienced networking issues related to
the updated--the version of the Ethernet driver that's used on some
Power Mac G4 systems doesn't work correctly, leaving the Mac unable to
use Ethernet networking.

- Apple has pulled the Mac OS X 10.2.8 update from their website; it's
also no longer available using Software Update. Apple released this
statement: "We have temporarily removed the Mac OS X v10.2.8 software
update while we resolve an issue affecting Ethernet networking on small
number of Power Mac G4 desktop systems. We anticipate that the issue
will be resolved soon." It seems that we can expected an updated
installer within a day or so.

- As with any update, some people are going to run into problems that
are not related to the update itself. Updating the operating system
often reveals problems that otherwise go undetected. Booting from a Mac
OS X CD and running Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Disk before
installing any update is a method to fix possible problems before
attempting an operating system update. After installing an update, boot
the system and run Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Permissions to fix
any file permissions that may have changed during the install process,
which sometimes happens If you run into a problem that Disk Utility
can't fix, you should use Disk Warrior 3.0 to create a new directory on
the hard drive. BTW, if you are a system administrator, you absolutely
need to own a copy of Disk Warrior. See
http://www.alsoftinc.com/DiskWarrior/ for more information.

- You should have a current backup before attempting any operating
system update, in the event something unexpected happens.

- If you were to run into a serious problem, you would do a clean
install of Mac OS X 10.2 using the CD that came with your machine (or
with the Mac OS X 10.2 CD from I/S) using the Archive and Install
option, which disables the existing version of Mac OS X and installs a
new copy while preserving network settings, user accounts, etc. Of
course, you would do the install AFTER running Disk Utility > First Aid
 > Repair Disk (or Disk Warrior if needed). Then use Software Update to
update to Mac OS X 10.2.6. See "Mac OS X 10.2: About the Archive and
Install Feature" at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120.

- Finally, most people who update to Mac OS X 10.2.8 will have no
problems at all. I've updated two machines (my personal 500 MHz
PowerBook G4 and a 400 MHz Power Mac G4) and have experienced no
problems.

   -- Al