[Macpartners] Leaving IS, and thanks...

Kerem B Limon kerem.limon at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 18 17:00:35 EST 2003

Friends and colleagues at MIT and the IT community--

As some of you have very recently heard from me directly, I am leaving my
current position in IS Delivery as a project team leader, which became
effective as of November 14th, this past Friday. While I was notified a few
weeks prior that with the impending budget situation and the gradual
closing down and phasing away of Delivery work to other areas, my contract
would not continue past that date, I chose to wait until now to share the
information with you all to avoid being a potential source of undue panic
at an uncertain time. This also gave me time to tie some loose ends and
transfer certain responsibilities to other colleagues in an orderly manner
to ensure a smooth transition for work which I have led and in which I have
been involved.

As indicated in the recent closing down announcement for the Windows 2000
Domains, Workgroups, Servers Project from Bob Ferrara and I, much of the
migration work in this area is going to be handled (as the new IS
organization also reflects) by the Academic and Administrative Computing
divisions depending on the customer's affiliation. Through the Delivery
Project and since then, resources within these areas have carried out a
:)umber of pilots and actual migrations successfully, and our experiences
have shown that a somewhat personalized approach to each migrating
organization serves their needs better than an overall, generalized single
strategy which failed to emerge from among the complex and diverse variety
of Windows implementations at MIT. I encourage your
department/lab/center/office IT resources, if they have not already done
so, to contact the appropriate parties through Phil Long (Academic
Computing) or Theresa Regan (Administrative Computing) who have kindly
agreed to front these efforts. With the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 de-support
deadline looming ever closer, they will be able to point you to resources
that will be able to orient you in the right direction and help plan your
progress no matter what your endpoint is--within the central win.mit.edu
Active Directory domain or as an independent one.

There is more work to be done in the on-line and off-line documentation and
support side of Windows Server platforms, and to this end, I have been
working with other colleagues to place such ongoing efforts in a framework
that will carry them through January and beyond. I will continue to work
with both groups and efforts, time and opportunity permitting, and I have
every confidence that in due time, there will be information and resources
available for your use. Having served in the Support process for a long
time, my heart is still somewhat on that side of the business; and it is
still very much fresh in my mind how difficult it is to implement a
scalable and robust support structure, including consistent documentation,
especially in the face of diminishing resources. These are uncertain and
difficult times for all, you, our customers, as well as those of us
remaining in IS, and thus I would very much appreciate and encourage you to
give our colleagues in IS serving these areas your patience, confidence,
and benefit of a doubt as they work their best to deliver what you need.
You are being left in very capable hands.

Before I leave you, I'll include a portion of what I wrote to a collection
of close friends this past week to let them know of my departure. It
applies equally well, and was actually penned (keyed?) with the larger IT
community in mind:

>As some of you know, I am a pack rat (understatement of the century) and
>archive all my e-mail. Recently, I took the time to go back and pull out a
>particular message I had sent nearly some six-and-a-half years ago, on
>August 14th, 1997, to a smaller subset of IS, when I was graduating from
>MIT and leaving the Help Desk (then in Building 11). In that message, I
>had written:
>
>>I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I have really enjoyed working
>>with all of you [at the Help Desk]. I am lucky to have had the chance and the
>>environment to meet and work alongside some of the brightest and most
>>competent people I know at MIT in my one and a half years as a consultant
>>here. I will surely miss the friendly atmosphere [of the Help Desk]
>>wherever I
>>go, as it will remain among my best experiences at MIT.
>>
>>I would like to wish all of you the best of health, happiness, luck and
>>success in the rest of your endeavors, wherever life may take you, including
>>N42!
>
>That was written when I had occasion to have known only a much smaller
>fragment of the IS family and the IT community at MIT, and had not yet met
>many of the other personalities and characters at large. At the very least
>for present company, whom I've come to know and count on since then, I am
>glad to say it still holds true.

Although this past Friday was my last day, I am not going to just
disappear, of course! My Athena account and e-mail will remain open, and I
will be around campus, at least in the short term, while I search for other
opportunities. As I mentioned above, time permitting, I'll try to help some
of the ongoing efforts on a volunteer basis. And you can expect to see my
continued participation in the IT/IS/Win/Macpartners forums as long as I am
able. In these hard times of diminishing resources, our community and
cross-organizational collaboration will become even more significant a
source of mutual support and assistance; that is something in which I have
always firmly believed, in which I have eagerly participated, and by which,
to this date, not in the least been disappointed.

Conversely, I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know of job
opportunities and openings that crop up in your areas or you hear about. If
you'd like me to pass resumes around, do let me know.

It has been a pleasure and a privilege working and serving with you all. No
matter the climate, MIT is one of the better places to be, regardless of
whether you are a student or a staff member (and most probably an
academician). Trust me; I speak from experience.

Sincerely,
Kerem B. Limon
Project Team Leader, Delivery Process
MIT Information Systems