[Macpartners] Apple Mail & SMTP authentication

Chris Griffith cg at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 12 17:21:33 EST 2003

I was wondering this myself so I downloaded the latest Eudora
installer, which is pre-configured for SMTP auth, and did some testing.
Here's what worked for me. I'm using the version of Mail that comes
with OS X 10.2.8. Caveat emptor, etc.

*  Click the Mail menu -> then Preferences...

*  In the Accounts preferences, click the account you use for your MIT
mail, then click the Edit button.

*  In the Account Information tab, where it says "Outgoing Mail Server"
(which should already be set to "outgoing.mit.edu"), click the Options
button. Result: the SMTP Server Options box appears.

*  Enter these options:
	Server port: 465
	[X]  Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)  -- turn ON the checkbox
	Authentication: Password
	User Name: [your Kerberos username]
	Password: [your Kerberos password]

*  Click OK to close the SMTP Server Options box, then click OK to
close the Accounts preferences, then close the Preferences window.

That should do it.

-Chris