[Macpartners] AFS Home Directories on OS X (long)

Susan Midlarsky susanrm at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 9 12:34:44 EDT 2003

Dear MacPartners,

I've been trying out the afs home directory setup as a possible login
solution for our Mac OS X labs, using my own production environment
as the guinea pig (yes, I'm brave - or stupid?). Anyway, so far most
things are working, and I thought to let you know about the "gotchas"
along the way, plus a few questions for people who might be farther
along the road than I.

Gotchas:

1) In Netinfo Manager, when changing the UID (numerical) to match the
Athena UID, you *must* do this before logging into afs the first
time. Otherwise it becomes a nightmare of ownership and permissions
problems.

2) I did have to run Repair Permissions from the CD after installing
OpenAFS etc. before everything would work right. Running it from a
Firewire drive wasn't adequate.

3) When restoring files from TSM, the files automatically get
restored as owned by the other admin account uid on the system, and I
have to change each file that is restored. Otherwise there is no
permission to access the files.

4) Athena has a current quota of 200 MB on the home directories. My
home directory is much larger. To get around the problem, I created
aliases to my local home directory on the afs home directory. This
worked in all cases except with the Library (see questions below). It
shouldn't be a problem for student users, but we should have the
option to create aliases to another network space if it is. We have
not tried this yet and may not need to with larger Athena quotas.

Questions/Glitches:

1) If I reboot my machine and login, none of the Finder or Dock prefs
load from my settings. If I logout and log back in, the desktop and
window prefs reload, but my Dock prefs are toast. Also, I can never
get my custom keyboard layout to stick. Relaunching the Finder
doesn't help.

To try to solve this, I first moved the real Library folder on afs,
and that seemed to work. Unfortunately this was only true for logouts
and logins, but not for cold boots or reboots. Right now my
workaround is to restore my dock settings from a TSM backed up file,
but obviously that is not a permanent solution or one for the
students.

Has anyone else a) seen this, b) know what causes it, and/or c) know
how to fix it?

2) There are a few patches on the kfm_aklog site for OpenAFS. Has
anyone compiled any of these with OpenAFS? Do they help? Any other
gotchas?

The patches are:
afsd.patch
macosx.patch
permission.patch
rc.patch

from http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~akosut/software/

Thanks much for any advice.

Susan
Susan Midlarsky, Assistant Network Manager
http://architecture.mit.edu/resourcs/cro/index.html
Dept. of Architecture, MIT
77 Massachusetts Ave., Bldg. 3-411
Cambridge, MA 02139