[Macpartners] Fall 2003 Getting Started CD Release Effort Underway

Mark Van Dyke mvan at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 09:16:10 EDT 2003

Good morning,

The CD Release Team has begun planning for the production of the fourth
version of the "Fall Getting Started CD" for Macintosh and Windows.  In
the past this CD has also been referred to by its label design; most
recently being the "orange and yellow swirly CD". The CD was originally
produced by the MITApps team, specifically to handle the fall and spring
term bottleneck of new students needing the core software applications
installed on their computers.  This was especially helpful to those who
did not have fast internet connections.  The CD has since proven itself
to be a valuable tool for many others.  Because of this, we're
rethinking its contents.

Attached is a list of applications that were included on last year's CD
plus some additions we're planning for this year. We're inviting your
ideas on what you think should be included on the CD.  In short, if
there is MIT-licensed software or freeware that you think should be part
of this CD; please let us know by sending mail to cd-release at mit.edu by
June 13, 2003.  We are attempting to get input from as many stakeholders
as possible.  If you think there is some individual or group that we
missed, please let us know as soon as possible.

Our goal is to have the CD ready for duplication by August 1. For more
information on the CD and the release effort, see the CD Release
Notebook at http://web.mit.edu/swrt/releases/mitcd/.  If you have
questions, suggestions, or would like to participate in the release of
this CD, please contact the team via email at cd-release at mit.edu.

Thanks for your input!

Angela Blossom
Susan Jones
Mark Van Dyke
Christine Verick
Ginny Williams
Al Willis

Windows

1		Anti-virus		VirusScan
2		Web browser		Netscape
3		PDF Reader		Acrobat Reader
4		Kerberos		Kerberos for Win
5		E-Mail		Eudora
6		Printing		KLP
7		File transfer	FileZilla
8		Telnet		HostExplorer
9		SSH			SecureCRT
10		Backup		TSM
11		Ergonomic health	Stretch Break
12		Alternate browser	Internet Explorer
13		UNIX services		Cygwin
14		Secure file transfer	SecureFX

Macintosh OS 9

1	Anti-virus	Virex
2	Web Browser	Netscape Navigator
3	PDF Reader	Adobe Acrobat Reader
4	Kerberos	KFM
5	E-Mail	Eudora
6	Printing	KLPR
7	Filetransfer	Fetch
8	Telnet	BetterTelnet
9	Backup	TSM
10	Ergonomic Health	Stretchbreak
11	Instant Messaging	MacZephyr
12	On-line forum	MacDiscuss
13	Dial-up Utility	ARA Automatic to PPP changer
14	SSH	MacSSH
15	OS Utility	MIT Date & Time Assistant
16	Web Search	Sherlock MIT plugin

Macintosh 0S X
1	Anti-virus	Virex
2	Web Browser	Netscape Navigator for X
3	PDF Reader	Adobe Acrobat Reader
4	Kerberos	KFM
5	Kerberos Extras	kerberos settings files
6	E-Mail	Eudora
7	Printing	KLPR
8	Filetransfer	Fetch
9	Telnet	BetterTelnet
10	Backup	TSM
11	Ergonomic Health	Stretchbreak
12	Instant Messaging	MacZephyr
13	On-line forum	MacDiscuss
14	Kerberos	Kerberos Login Authenticator
15	X-Window Server	XonX
16	Dialup	I-Pass
17	Apple free download	X11