[lookit-research] stimulus sound not coming through on videos

Melissa Kline mekline at mit.edu
Sat Mar 18 15:02:35 EDT 2023

Dear all -

Thanks so much to David for your question, and for the responses so far!  I
am going to recommend that people continue this conversation on our Slack
channel <http://lookit-mit.slack.com>, since there are some related
conversations (current & previous) that may be helpful to look through.
Just to make sure this reaches people who started reading this email
thread, here are some further thoughts on this issue (I will also post
these to Slack!):

Lisa, you've already said most of what I was planning to say regarding
timing & sound, so thank you!

For the specific recent "disappearing sound" issue, especially where
speech/sounds from the participant can be heard, but stimulus noises played
out of the participants cannot: This is a pattern that is more likely to be
related to something on the user's computer, and there haven't been any
recent codebase changes that are likely to explain them. There was actually
just a thread this week from Elizabeth Simmons on Slack - in her case, some
testing revealed that a change observed in the last several weeks may be
specifically connected to Mac computers.

More generally, especially if you care about precision of measurement under
a second, I would strongly recommend two general courses of action:

- First, make sure you're aware of *at least *two sources of information
that you can use to verify the timing of each individual session. Which of
these you choose will heavily depend on the design of your study and which
kinds of information are most critical for your analyses - for instance,
whether you are comparing times between two conditions to detect a
difference, versus measuring against an expected absolute timing.  Some of
these cues could include:

* A luminance or sound marker at the beginning of a trial (with the caveats
already mentioned above)
* The Lookit event time stamps
* The total expected versus actual length of a trial video (and considering
whether trial-by-trial recordings or a single session recording are the
best fit for your study)
* Eliciting a clap or similar from your participant/parent to help you
detect synchrony of the participant's audio & video

- Second, plan to conduct a few pilot sessions with actual participants and
then test your entire analysis pipeline before re-starting data collection
to ensure that you can verify these timings in the way you expect.  As
mentioned this won't catch everything, since some kinds of timing variation
are rarer, but this will also help you to establish with real data *what
kind of variation* your design can tolerate and when you will plan to
exclude a session from analysis. Can your design tolerate 10ms of variation
from the intended timing? 50ms? 500ms?

Finally, I want to assure the research community that this is an issue
we're keenly aware of and want to continue to improve so that Lookit can be
used for as many kinds of research as possible! In particular we are
exploring some ways to make it easier to get *more information* on event
timings in the future, even if we can't eliminate the parts of the problem
that come from our individual computer/internet settings.

Thanks again for this discussion, and for using Lookit!

- Melissa