[lookit-research] Opportunities to support Lookit

Melissa Kline mekline at mit.edu
Thu Nov 18 16:17:42 EST 2021

 Dear Lookit community,

 As of today, we have added a new page to the Lookit website: Supporting
Lookit <https://lookit.mit.edu/exp/support/>.

Lookit is free for researchers to use, but it is not free to run and
maintain. We are currently hiring our third full-time staff member; some of
our other costs include video hosting and security auditing to ensure that
all participant data is protected.

Right now we are applying for funding focused on the infrastructure to
continue this project into the future, and *it would be a great help if all
researchers using Lookit could do the following*:

(1) Please tell us about
<https://forms.gle/fwjPXoSuPaa4xTPC6](https://forms.gle/fwjPXoSuPaa4xTPC6> any
research products you have finished that use Lookit, from published papers
to posters, preprints, and any other research milestones - and please don't
assume we've already seen it! This helps us to demonstrate our impact to
funders, and is especially important to help reviewers understand how
Lookit is being used with the slower tempo of publications in developmental
psychology.

(2) If you are writing up anything that uses data you collect through
Lookit, please cite us! TO cite the platform itself, please use:

Scott, K., & Schulz, L. (2017). Lookit (part 1): A new online platform for
developmental research. Open Mind, 1(1), 4-14.
https://doi.org/10.1162/OPMI_a_00002

Further instructions and suggested language for describing how Lookit is
used in your research are available on the support page
<https://lookit.mit.edu/exp/support/>.

(3) Finally, this community infrastructure has the best chance of staying
viable if researchers contribute (when possible) to making it financially
sustainable. If YOU are applying for funds to conduct research that will
happen on Lookit, please get in touch with us to discuss ways that you can
budget for the cost of running participants on the site!

Thank you for reading, and THANK YOU for supporting Lookit by being part of
our community of researchers,

- Melissa

--
Melissa Kline Struhl