[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Closer: Performance, Technologies, Phenomenology by Susan Kozel -- NOW AVAILABLE from Leonardo Book Series

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Thu Apr 10 17:26:24 EDT 2008

NEW from Leonardo Book Series and The MIT Press

Closer: Performance, Technologies, Phenomenology
by Susan Kozel

In Closer, Susan Kozel draws on live performance practice, digital
technologies, and the philosophical approach of phenomenology. Trained
in dance and philosophy, Kozel places the human body at the center of
explorations of interactive interfaces, responsive systems, and
affective computing, asking what can be discovered as we become closer
to our computers--as they become extensions of our ways of thinking,
moving, and touching.

Performance, Kozel argues, can act as a catalyst for understanding wider
social and cultural uses of digital technology. Taking this one step
further, performative acts of sharing the body through our digital
devices foster a collaborative construction of new physical states,
levels of conscious awareness, and even ethics. We re-encounter
ourselves and others through our interactive computer systems. What we
need now are conceptual and methodological frameworks to reflect this.

Kozel offers a timely reworking of the phenomenology of French
philosopher Maurice Merleau-Ponty. This method, based on a respect for
lived experience, begins by listening to the senses and noting insights
that arrive in the midst of dance, or quite simply in the midst of life.
The combination of performance and phenomenology offered by Closer
yields entwinements between experience and reflection that shed light
on, problematize, or restructure scholarly approaches to human bodies
using digital technologies.

After outlining her approach and methodology and clarifying the key
concepts of performance, technologies, and virtuality, Kozel applies
phenomenological method to the experience of designing and performing in
a range of computational systems: telematics, motion capture, responsive
architectures, and wearable computing.

The transformative potential of the alchemy between bodies and
technologies is the foundation of Closer. With careful design, future
generations of responsive systems and mobile devices can expand our
social, physical, and emotional exchanges.

Susan Kozel is Associate Professor in the School of Interactive Arts and
Technology at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.

April 2008
The MIT Press
A Leonardo Book
ISBN:0-262-11310-4
380 pp.

To order this book and to learn more about other titles in the Leonardo
Book Series visit the Leonardo Book Series website at:
http://www.leonardo.info/isast/leobooks.html

MEMBER DISCOUNT! Leonardo/ISAST Associate Members are eligible for 20%
off all Leonardo Book Series titles as well as a number of other
membership benefits! Visit http://leonardo.info/members.html for more
details.