[LCM Events] REMINDER: LCM/ASO Research Seminar Series

Marc R Kaloustian marck at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 24 13:59:55 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

The MIT Lebanese Club and Arab Students Organization are excited to invite you to our *Research Lecture Seminar Series*! This time, we are pleased to have Ragheb El Khaja, an MIT M.S. student in the department of Biological Engineering, and Abdulla Galadari, a visiting Prof. from Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, present on their exciting research!

When: Wednesday, October 24
Time: 6:00- 8:00 pm
Where: 4-149

Ragheb will be presenting about his research on the restoration of muscle function in individuals paralyzed due to spinal cord injury through functional electrical stimulation. The work combines electrical stimulation with modulation of ion concentration at the site of the nerve to decrease the electric threshold for inducing a muscle contraction and to allow selective muscle contraction.

Abdulla will be presenting on thinking outside the brain. Creativity is a pivotal catalyst for change in the course of human history. However, very few researchers are creative people, even if they bring about new theories. For many centuries, a geocentric model of the universe was the accepted worldview. Even the greatest thinkers and scientists of human history continued to develop theories of a geocentric universe, until their worldview completely collapsed. Why did researchers of the past continue to scientifically, develop theories of a false worldview? Some people are innovators and others are imitators. Which one are you? How can you become a creative researcher and think outside your brain?

So come join us for dinner on October 24, and learn a little bit about the amazing things that our friends and colleagues are doing around campus!

Thanks,
LCM and ASO