[LCM Events] LCM/ASO Research Seminar Series

Nina Jreige ninus at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 22 20:09:58 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

The MIT Lebanese Club and Arab Students Organization are excited to invite
you to our **Research Lecture Seminar Series**! This time, we are pleased
to have *Ragheb El Khaja*, an MIT M.S. student in the department of
Biological Engineering, and *Abdulla Galadari*, a visiting Prof. from
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, present on their exciting
research!

*When*: Wednesday, October 24
*Time*: 6:00- 8:00 pm
*Where*: 4-149

_____________________________________

Ragheb will be presenting about his research on the restoration of muscle
function in individuals paralyzed due to spinal cord injury through
functional electrical stimulation. The work combines electrical stimulation
with modulation of ion concentration at the site of the nerve to decrease
the electric threshold for inducing a muscle contraction and to allow
selective muscle contraction.

Abdulla will be presenting on thinking outside the brain. Creativity is a
pivotal catalyst for change in the course of human history. However, very
few researchers are creative people, even if they bring about new theories.
For many centuries, a geocentric model of the universe was the accepted
worldview. Even the greatest thinkers and scientists of human history
continued to develop theories of a geocentric universe, until their
worldview completely collapsed. Why did researchers of the past continue to
scientifically, develop theories of a false worldview? Some people are
innovators and others are imitators. Which one are you? How can you become
a creative researcher and think outside your brain?

So come join us for dinner on *October 24*, and learn a little bit about
the amazing things that our friends and colleagues are doing around campus!

Thanks,
LCM and ASO