[LCM Events] [Palestine@MIT] Protecting the Human Right to Water in Palestine

Dima Ayyash dayyash at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 10 23:24:39 EDT 2011

*Palestine at MIT presents
**as part of
*
*Palestine Awareness Week 2011*

Wednesday April 13th
"Protecting the Human Right
to Water in Palestine"
with Susan Koppelman

*7pm, Room 2-135

*

Susan Koppelman, a water rights advocate, joins us from Palestine, where she
has been living for nearly five years and supporting the work of *LifeSource
*, a Palestinian collective organizing to build a popular movement for
Palestinian water rights. Koppelman will be discussing strategies of
resistance and using the water situation to demonstrate the need for
boycott, divestment and sanctions and direct action on the ground to hold
Israel accountable to international law and human rights.

The water situation is a great way to communicate the need for communities
around the world to join together to end Israeli violations of Palestinians'
human rights. The UN Human Rights Committee has found that Israel is
violating Palestinians human right to water, but its suggestions for how
Israel can comply with international human rights legislation that Israel
has signed are non-binding. As global citizens in an increasingly
interconnected world, we can use boycott, divestment and sanctions and
direct action to hold Israel accountable to standards of international law
and human rights that we have established to guide our interactions in the
world.

Susan Koppelman is the direct descendant of early Jewish pioneers of
Israel/colonizers of Palestine and the granddaughter of a Holocaust
survivor. She holds an MSW from the University of Washington, a graduate
degree in International Development, and is currently training once a week
to be a yoga teacher in Israel.

*Refreshments and snacks will be provided*