[LCM Events] FW: URGENT: YOUR SUPPORT NEEDED, HISTORIC DIVESTMENT VOTE INSOMERVILLE!!!! TUESDAY, NOV. 9, 6:30PM

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 9 02:39:23 EST 2004

  _____

From: Susan Barney [mailto:susanbarney at comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 11:47 PM
To: susanbarney at comcast.net
Subject: FW: URGENT: YOUR SUPPORT NEEDED, HISTORIC DIVESTMENT VOTE INSOMERVILLE!!!! TUESDAY, NOV. 9, 6:30PM

Dear friends,

A very historic event is taking place in Somerville this week.  A grassroots movement was started many months ago by a group called
the Somerville Divestment Project (SDP).  Check out their new website for background info on the group:
<http://www.divestmentproject.org/> http://www.divestmentproject.org/

Because of their efforts, there is now a resolution before the Board of Alderman (local city councilors) to  "call on our cities,
towns, states, as well as unions and socially responsible investors to divest from Israeli bonds and companies which provide the
arms and equipment to carry out Israel's military occupation."

Your attendance is requested at the Somerville Board of Aldermen meeting where the Aldermen will be voting on this resolution:

Tuesday, November 9 at 6:30 pm (sharp!)

Somerville City Hall, 2nd Floor

93 Highland Ave., Somerville, MA

If this resolution is passed, it will be the FIRST OF IT'S KIND IN THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES and will set a precedent for the rest of
the country.

The opposition has now organized and we are expecting large protests at City Hall both Monday, Nov. 8 and Tuesday Nov. 9.

Please come out and show your support. Please forward this to all your friends.  Below is the latest email from SDP with details on
the Aldermen meeting on Monday and Tuesday.

In solidarity,

Susan Barney