[LCM Articles] Sahar Khateeb's Outcry

ayah bdeir ayah at media.mit.edu
Sat May 10 10:10:43 EDT 2008

Jad,

The outcry is not about the TV station, nor what the TV station stands
for. For once, a video who has circled the world in a mere 24 hours,
is about the people, not the parties and the agendas. Even if Sahar el
Kahteeb is part of Future TV, Sahar represents a lot of people who are
not political, and have never taken political stances in Beirut, and
have always played devil's advocate on behalf of all parties involved,
and trust me, these are many. Unfortunately, these people have now
been forced into a corner.

How do you "look through the hatred" when your parents spent 2 hours
sitting in the bathroom in Verdun, because they are scared sh*tless of
their fellow compatriots, turned gunman on their streets. How do you
look through the hatred when our family turns on all the lights and
sits by the door and prays that no one breaks into another home. How
do you look through the hatred when you live abroad, and you have to
look at pictures online or on tV of your own neighborhood turned into
a warzone, not because of a war, but because of a show of force. They
did not choose to have a show of force between parties, and just take
a hold of government buildings or just block roads or just speak to
the parties, they chose to scare the people of their own country, and
when you do that, it's true, this is another era.

Lots of people didn't even have any hatred to look through, and did
open heir homes in July, and did cook for the refuges, and did make
donations, and did play devil's advocate all this time with all their
heart, but even if they never took a stand, now they have been forced
into one.

Ayah