[LCM Articles] An Open Letter From One Lebanese To Another / By; Fatina Salaheddine (CEO & Publisher Al-Sahafa Newspaper)

Fatina Salaheddine fatina at al-sahafa.us
Fri Nov 24 23:20:19 EST 2006

An Open Letter From One Lebanese To Another
By Fatina Salaheddine
(Publisher; Al-Sahafa Newspaper www.al-sahafa.us )
November 23, 2006

I am asking all Lebanese to lend me your ears, and allow my words a permanent place in your big hearts from what I'm about to say.

But before I begin, I want to introduce a personal side of myself.

I am an American citizen of Lebanese descent, raised by two incredible parents who immigrated to the United States, from Ras Beirut, at the height of what was to become a 17-year Lebanese civil war (may it be remembered and never repeated). Over the years, I can honestly say that I grew up as American as apple pie, and as Lebanese as the Cedars of Lebanon, of which I kiss the ground that my parents walk-on for planting the seed in my heart, of the true meaning of what it is to call myself; Lebanese.

Our home always overflowed with people and the aroma of my mom's delicious Lebanese home cooking, along with the endearing legendary Lebanese voices of Wadih El-Safih & Fairuz.  I must also add, that my siblings and I were conscientiously brought up at home in the Arabic and French languages and educated in a Private Catholic grade school (even though my family is not Catholic), attending Latin mass each morning, before the school day began. From the start, my parents insisted on raising my siblings and I in the "true" Lebanese culture of love and acceptance for all fellow Lebanese - with no prelude to differentiating one Lebanese from another based on religious differences. They explained Lebanon's importance as a cultural and European oasis in the Middle East, where international professors and artists exchanged ideas openly and with freedoms of expression. And I grew to understand the complexity and vulnerability of Beirut's central and strategic location in proximity to its unstable neighbors in the region.

>From the many childhood stories that my parents told my siblings and I, and from the countless albums filled with beautiful pictures of my parents' friends and family get-togethers on yachts and planes, and the famous Mediterranean board-walk (better known as the Corniche), it was only obvious that an iconic image of Lebanon was to be instilled in me.

My "Lebanese-ness" apparently added to the many "firsts" I encountered in my school days.  Being that I was the first Lebanese-American in my high school Senior Class to graduate as Class President, then onto college where I was elected as Lebanese Club President, taking the club to an unprecedented level of activeness and awareness on campus. Where I later took that love of my "Lebanese-ness" and formed my first company; Nonabel Entertainment, providing event coordinating and promoting for Arabic Concerts, businesses and weddings. (F.Y.I."Nonabel" is "Lebanon" spelled backwards).

... And now, years later I am an owner and publisher of Ohio's only statewide Middle Eastern newspaper, published monthly in the English language. My countless trips and invites to our nation's capital; Washington D.C., (better known as the most powerful city in the world), has had such a strong influence on my character and self worth and assurance as an American of Lebanese descent mingling with the crème de la crème of America's power players. My countless trips to Lebanon have also given me an immensely overwhelming feeling of realization and humbleness to my Lebanese ancestry.

In every trip to Beirut (Lebanon's capital city), I shed tears of joy and laughter from what my eyes witness, because the iconic image that I imagined in my mind of Lebanon and the Lebanese became absolute reality.  Beautiful people roam all around the country. From mountain top ski slopes to the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, one's eye never falls far from Lebanese "eye-candy" and their zest for life and interest in all visitors to the country.

And currently, since February 14th 2005 (the black day in Lebanon when my personal friend and former Lebanese multi-billionaire Prime Minister Sheikh Rafik Al Hariri was assassinated in a car bomb on the beloved ground of his own country) my "reality" of Lebanon is at an emotionally devastating stand still. As I watch and analyze the unimaginable happening in the country often referred to as the  "Paris of the Middle East", I want to get a few thoughts to the Lebanese people off my chest...

To the Lebanese in Lebanon:
Lebanon's long and often turbulent history reaches back to the dawn of civilization.  But the beautiful mosaic of differing beliefs in Lebanon has given it its flavor as a unified, and much needed example and tourist attraction for the Middle East region. Since Lebanon's inception, its citizens  have survived on tourism.  Lebanon did not get blessed like its neighboring Arab countries with rich oil reserves, and so the "prized" nation capitalized on its naturally breathtaking landscape of the Mediterranean sea, the mountains, the charming beaches, the perfect weather, the delicious food, the "Lebanese" Arabic dialect, and the warmth and beauty of its captivating people.

With all the recent targeted assassinations , it's easy to forget what this nation was built on and what it has to offer to the region and to the world.  It's easier to get angry at one another, and waste time pointing the finger at each other than to see the whole picture. As I view Lebanon from the outside, my message from one Lebanese to another, is to continue the mentality of the "Cedar Revolution".  Define yourselves as Lebanese, and not by political party affiliation or by your religion. In the eyes of the world- Lebanese are looked upon as Lebanese, and not by what party or religion is represented.  My fellow Lebanese, ask yourselves, as you did during the Cedar Revolution; what is it exactly to be Lebanese?  Let me humbly say, that TO BE LEBANESE is to be free, sovereign, and independent with national unity (Al Horriyeh, Siyadeh, Istiqlal, Wahdeh Al-Wataniyeh).

The beauty of Christians and Muslims living together in unity, should be used as Lebanon's strength and not its weakness. It is important to point out that the blood of the attempted assassinations and martyers was not shed in vain.   It should not be forgotten that their Lebanese blood (stemming from all the different religious sects) have been mixed together in the same pool of blood on the same Lebanese land of our forefathers.

Let me point out that aside from defining myself as Lebanese, I am also an American. I do not define myself by religious association or to what political party affiliation I belong to or vote for in this country.  This ideology is what makes America and Americans looked upon by the world as a complete and whole nation, a superpower within itself. I ask that Lebanese learn and observe from the best in the world, in order to follow in its success.

I want to say from one Lebanese to another.. that I urge you to give your exceptional support and unity for the current Siniora Government in Lebanon.  Specifically, I want to reach out to the current Prime Minister Mr. Fouad Siniora (whom I had the humble privilege of meeting many times during business conferences in Beirut), and his remaining faithful cabinet ministers to not give up the plight for Lebanese unity and democracy - even in the face of such betrayal of 6 false opposition ministers who (mostly Hezballah) resigned before the vote for the U.N. Security Council's special international court to try suspects in Hariri's murder. And I say to you Mr. Prime Minister to stay the coarse for Lebanon, even in the face of Lebanon's so-called President; Emile Lahoud who called the cabinet's action for U.N. and U.S. backed intervention illegitimate.

And speaking of the Lebanese President. I have to ask, where is the Unity from you General Emile Lahoud?  You speak of "Unity" to the Lebanese, forgetting that "Actions speak stronger than words."  I ask the President directly to show the people that you are unified with the current Siniora government. You should be ashamed of yourself, and step down. The Lebanese President should symbolize leadership through strong unity. You are a coward who prefers to hide in your residence, instead of being the first in line at all the Lebanese demonstrations and at the funerals alongside the grieving family members saying goodbye to their loved ones and martyrs who have been brutally assassinated on their own land (all from different religious sects), for speaking up and defending Lebanon's long history of democracy and free speech. Mr. Lahoud, you don't have the Gravitas or the weight to ever dream of being in the same level of these brave brave examples of true Lebanese.  (Lezam tiss-tehay 3a-damak, wa titnazel min-hal kirsi...yelee maptiss-tehal-hah).

To former Lebanese President; Sheikh Amin Gemayel (whom I met earlier this year, along with General Oun at a conference in Doha Qatar) I ask God to give you the strength to stay sane and unified with Lebanon's current government, after burying your beloved first-born. Only 34 years old, Pierre Gemayel was among the faithful cabinet members who voted to approve the U.N. plan submitted to Prime Minister Fouad Siniora's government. His loss of life at such a young age has sent shockwaves to the Lebanese youth who are wondering about their future and what they have to look forward to in Lebanon.

Gemayel's assassination turned Lebanon's Independence Day on Wednesday November 21st into a somber occasion. All Lebanese Embassy receptions around the world and festivities in Lebanon including a military parade, were cancelled. And to what independence are the Lebanese supposed to celebrate, if I may so ask?  November 22, 2006 marked the 63rd year of independence for Lebanon from France, whose troops again patrol southern Lebanon, and whose citizens are still dealing with horrific assassinations left and right, with only talk of an international tribunal to find out who is behind all the murders and bring just punishment to the assassins.

And to Hezballah and its allies who have threatened to take to the streets to topple Siniora's government, saying it has lost its legitimacy since Shi'ite are no longer represented, I say to you; what are you so afraid of, to not want the U.S. and United Nations to intervene?  The Shi'ite members dropped out on their own will - no one forced them to take such an action.  Democracy in Lebanon cannot break because of this manipulative move.  Along with Syria and Iran, your organization claims that you are not part of these internal Lebanese assassinations and know nothing. Then I ask you to cooperate and let the world help prove your innocent claims. And another thing, why do you think that your "threat" to take over the Lebanese government will take you anywhere?  You've done enough by dragging Lebanon and its citizens into an already tense situation with Israel this past July.  The Lebanese people have had more than their share of violence, and just want to live in a peaceful and democratic country.  Let me remind you loud and clear, that it is the Lebanese people who will always and forever govern the sovereign country of Lebanon.  The Lebanese are stronger and much more unified than you are willing to accept. The Lebanese in Lebanon and around the world will NEVER allow any other country, political party or group to run or have any part of dictating its freedoms and civil liberties.

To the Americans of  Lebanese descent:
Given that the U.S. is the world's super power, and has the strongest influence on the United Nations, I want to advise the Americans of Lebanese descent to learn from the best when it comes to Lebanese interests.  Let's learn from and use the example of our Jewish American friends.  Let's use our "American" strength in Washington D.C. as the Jews have for Israel's interest.  Why not form a strong coalition and build a strong Lebanese Lobby in Washington D.C.?  We Lebanese-Americans need to become the link and backbone for the Lebanese parliament.  We need to begin building an influential bridge from D.C. to Beirut. Through "togetherness as one for Lebanon", we Lebanese-Americans can be true "Ambassadors" in every meaning of the word.

Lebanon's current economy's situation demands that business leaders look upon the country objectively. This country needs to be treated as a business, and its historical image as a playground for the world's rich and famous should be used as a subtle backdrop.  Let us continue in the path of the late Hariri's determination in bringing huge investments to this country.  As Lebanese, we are natural Marketers.  We can sell anything to anyone. I personally know this fact, having an International Marketing and Business degree, and through all my travels in Europe and the Gulf regions of the Middle East.  Somehow, I've always run into a Lebanese Marketing Manager in every successful business (Go figure)!  Let us begin marketing Lebanon as an attractive package to businesses and shareholders looking to invest in Lebanon. Lebanese around this world have assimilated so successfully and have made a name and fortune for themselves - why not bring that back to the country of our ancestors?

And finally a message to the late Pierre Gemayel. I would like to echo the emotional words of our current Prime Minister Mr. Fouad Siniora to please give our love and regards to all the beloved Lebanese martyrs that are so sorely missed, and that you have now joined. Beginning with Sheikh Rafik Al Hariri, to Mr. Basil Flayhan, to Mr. George Hawi, to Mr. Samir Kasir, and to Mr. Gebran Tueni. May you all rest in peace knowing that the price you have paid for in Lebanon, will be engraved in the hearts of all "true" Lebanese and will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

God be with you all. (Allah Yirhamkon).

Awaiting for your response.

Thank you & God Bless Always.

~ Fatina