[LCM Articles] Lebanese Polls (fwd)

Jad S Karam jkaram at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 13 22:44:05 EST 2005

I like the idea of discussing things openly too. The pro-Syrian demonstration
proved that there is indeed a significant division in thought and views in
Lebanon. This cannot be ignored! However, I am still unclear about the
objective of that demonstration, and am even more unclear about their demands,
and I write this email merely to ask for clarification.
What does it mean to say, "No to outside interference?" Is it refering to
interference on the economic, the political, the millitary level, or all of the
above? I am genuinely wondering. I've also heard phrases such as "We'd rather
have an Arab country, such as Syria, manipulating us on these levels than a
western country." I wonder what this means as well. Does this imply that the
US, France, and other western countries will put-up check-points in Batroon (on
the military level), or using Farha's words (referring to Syria) "Milk us
economically?" In a country where one company may have turnovers in the
billions of dollars, what economic gains can it possibly be looking for?

Please do not interpret this email as an attack, it is just a genuine request to
clarify my thoughts, because I still do not understand the terms "Pro-Syrian,"
and "No to outside interference." Are they referring to "Pro-Syrian" presence
in Lebanon, or "Pro-Syrian" absolutely? Are they suggesting that we can get rid
of the Syrians on our own when we say "No to outside interference," or is it
Syria's intention to leave Lebanon anyways?

Jad