krb5_init_context()

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Wed Sep 2 14:56:37 EDT 2020

On 9/2/20 2:31 PM, Scot McKinley wrote:
> For our use of KfW, we are using krb5_init_context() as our initial call
> to krb5, attempting to use the environment interface defined for the
> API. The problem is that env on windows is not well supported and is
> buggy (env is actually cached at the loading of particular library).

I'm not sure what "the environment interface defined for the API" efers
to.  But I am aware of
https://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=2636
which unfortunately hasn't been resolved.

> I see now that there is another API: krb5_init_secure_context(), which
> appears to be created to get around exactly this type of env problem. Do
> you let me know or point me to doc that shows the interface for this new
> function?
krb5_init_secure_context() isn't new--it was in the 1.0 release.  I
don't think it will solve this problem, as it simply causes the context
to ignore environment variables.  The documentation for it is at:

https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/appdev/refs/api/krb5_init_secure_context.html

It seems possible that you meant krb5_init_context_profile(), which was
added in release 1.10:

https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/appdev/refs/api/krb5_init_context_profile.html

This interface was created to make it possible to use
profile_init_vtable() with a krb5 context.  See the comments in
profile.h for how to use that.

(It would probably be easier if one could create a memory-only profile
object, either empty or from a file, and then use profile_add_relation()
and/or profile_update_relation() on it.  But that hasn't been implemented.)