Permissions for shared libraries in Kerberos

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Wed Nov 18 13:38:33 EST 2020

Ken Hornstein <kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> Regarding the mode bits on shared libraries, everyone seems to agree
> that the execute bit for shared libraries on HP/UX _has_ to be set.  But
> for all other Unixes, it seems to kind of optional.  A quick informal
> survey seems to indicate that having the execute bit set on shared
> libraries is relatively common, and the people who wrote RPM sure
> expected that to be the case.

For the record, Debian (and thus Ubuntu, etc.) does not set the executable
bit on any shared libraries except for some weird special cases where the
library can also be invoked as an executable.

That said, the Debian packaging tools will automatically remove the
executable bit if it is present, so I don't think it would matter to
Debian if Kerberos changes the default installation practice.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>